Polar Gran Fondo La Mussara 2018
- One of the Top 5 Cyclo Sportives in Spain with 8,000 riders
- Number one Sportive for Female Cyclists in Spain with over 700 riders
- Three distances to choose from
- Exclusive Santini Jersey and Welcome Pack for all entrants
The Polar Gran Fondo La Mussara was born in 2014 with 2000 cyclists registered to cycle through the incredible landscapes of the Tarragona territory, by 2017 the total number of participants had grown to 7500, of which 700 were female cyclists, making the Polar Gran Fondo La Mussara the number one sportive in Spain for female participants and one of the top 5 sportives in Spain overall.
The Polar Gran Fondo La Mussara has 3 distances -:
Gran Fondo 184Km 3000 metres positive
Gran Fondo 133Km 2450 metres positive
Gran Fondo 90Km 1600 metres positive
The modernist city of Reus is where we find the epicentre of the event, with the start and finishing lines located here, plus an ample zone of exhibitors, secure bike parking, showers and after the event the ubiquitous pasta party.
Feel like you are participating in a Grand Tour Stage with closed roads, supported by the Catalan Police and local ambulance services and Mavic with their motorcycles and support vehicles with you en-route.
During the event you will find 6 feed stations with liquids and solids plus 5 different mechanical service points to supplement the neutral service vehicles.
Each participant will receive an exclusive Santini Jersey, a welcome pack on registration and a finishers certificate and gift.
So what are you waiting for, choose your distance and get booked for the Spanish Sportive of 2018!
- 2 or 4 Nights 4* Accommodation
- Bed & Breakfast Included (Half Board Option)
- Return Airport Transfers
- Entry to the Gran Fondo Event
- 6 Feed Stations with Liquids and Solids
- 5 Different Mechanical Service Points
- Neutral Service Vehicles
- Exclusive Santini Jersey
- Welcome Pack
- Finishers Certifcate & Gifts
- Mollydoo Cycling Jersey
- 2 x Additional Guided Rides (4 Nights Package Only)
What's Not Included
- Travel Insurance
- Meals outside the hotel plan unless specified
- Flights (Please ask and we can arrange complete ATOL protected Flights)
This package includes a 4 night stay at the Hotel Regente Aragon, Salou, Bed & Breakfast. 2 Night packages available, please enquire
Ride Itinerary & Useful Info
Salou is our destination and is serviced by two airports, Barcelona 1 hour 10 min away and Reus airport which is 20 minutes transfer time.
You will be met at the airport by one of our representatives who will transport you and your bicycle to your hotel and ensure you are checked into the hotel.
Mollydoo Gran Fondo Packages
The Official website for the Gran Fondo has sold out but Mollydoo has managed to secure 20 places for this event. Mollydoo will be at this event and will act as yoru represenatative to ensure evertyhing goes as smooth as possible for you and you can enjoy the event without any worries.
Although this is a one day Gran Fondo event, we have created two packages for you to choose from. Both packages include your accommodation, transfers, entry to the event and optional flights. If flights arebooked, we can offer the complete ATOL protection.
- Package 1: is a 2 night stay, Saturday 2nd - Sunday 3rd
- Package 2: is a 4 night stay, Thursday 31st May - Sunday 3rd June
- 2 x guided rides to recce the route or just to stretch the legs on the days prior to the Gran Fondo
Click the **More** option under Package at a Glance above for whats included
Choice of Three Distances
The Gran Fondo takes place on Sunday 3rd June 2018. The Polar Gran Fondo La Mussara has 3 distances -:
Gran Fondo 184Km 3000 metres positive
Gran Fondo 133 133Km 2450 metres positive
Gran Fondo 90 90Km 1600 metres positive
Gran Fondo Activity Agenda
HOURS ACTIVITY PLACE
The following times are in place for the day of the event on the Sunday. A representative will be with you to ensure the group is organised and knows where to go and will be available throughout the event at your disposal.
- 6:45 Opening access to the departure drawers Carrer de L'Argentina (Main entrance Fira de Reus)
- 7:15 - 7:45 AM Departure GRAN FONDO 184K Carrer de L'Argentina (Main entrance Fira de Reus)
- 08:15 - 8:45 Departure GRAN FONDO 133K Carrer de l'Alemanya (Main entrance Fira de Reus)
- 09:15 - 9:45 Departure GRAN FONDO 90K Carrer de l'Alemanya (Main entrance Fira de Reus)
- 12:20 Arrival first participant GRAN FUND 90K Auditori Exterior Fira de Reus
- 12:50 First participant arrival GRAN FONDO 133K Auditori Exterior Fira de Reus
- 13:35 First participant arrival GRAND FUND 184K Auditori Exterior Fira de Reus
- 18:30 Arrival last Participants Carrer de L'Argentina (Main entrance Fira de Reus)
- 18:45 Closing of the Fair
La Mussara sits on the edge of a cliff in the Prades mountains of Catalonia, overlooking the plains below and the Mediterranean Sea.
Located in the province of Tarragona, La Mussara is one of the many abandoned towns that are in Spain as a result of depopulation and the march to the cities that has occurred in recent decades. But La Mussara is not just an uninhabited place. It is a town wrapped in a halo of mystery that stars in legends and stories full of mystery.
At 1,020 meters above sea level, within the municipality of Vilaplana, La Mussara is known for the beauty of its landscapes and the many possibilities offered by its hiking and climbing routes.The existence of this town is documented since 1173, the year in which its name appears in some official documents. Years later, in 1194, the town church is mentioned in a papal bull.
Until well into the twentieth century, La Mussara was inhabited. However, it was in 1920 when its decline began. Already in this trend, the crisis of the phylloxera plague (insect that attacks the root of the plants) that devastated a good part of the Catalan territory at the end of the last century and the construction of the road that ends in this village contributed in large part that in 1956 La Mussara was completely abandoned and became a phantom population.
Nowadays there are only the ruins of a few houses and a church in whose interior samples of some kind of ritual have been found, strange beings have been seen and sounds that have caught the attention of mystery experts have been heard.
All things must come to an end and it's time to leave the Gran Fondo and take with you all the fantastic memories. You will be transported by one of our representatives to either Barcelona or Reus airport.
Please note a representative from Mollydoo will be at hand at all times to deal with questions regarding the following regulations and guidelines.
The Polar Gran Fondo La Mussara march is a non-competitive cyclist tour that will take place on June 3, 2018 with departure at 7:30 h. The test will be held in the town of Reus and on the roads of the province of Tarragona, with departure and arrival at the facilities of Fira Reus.
The traffic will be controlled, but open, a fact that obliges the participants to respect the current traffic regulations.
2. Participation and insurance
• Participation in Polar Gran Fondo La Mussara is open to athletes of any nationality born in 2002 (who have reached the age of 16 on the day of the event) or earlier. Children under 16 years of age can not take the exit at any of the two distances.
• The use of the homologated helmet is mandatory during the entire journey.
• Participation with a time trial bike is not allowed.
• Each athlete participates in the test under his responsibility and declares to be in optimal physical condition, as well as having sufficient technical mastery to face it.
• The organization advises all participants to pass a medical examination prior to the test in order to detect and rule out any anomaly incompatible with the practice of cycling.
• The organization will have a Civil Liability insurance policy according to current legislation. In addition, all participants will be covered by an accident insurance policy contracted by the organization.
• During the process of collecting the numbers, all participants must present their DNI, or e-mail, which will be sent the days prior to the event with the bib number, starting box and size of the jersey.
• Registration is personal and non-transferable and implies acceptance of all the articles of this regulation, as well as the conditions of purchase.
• All prices are included in the registration form of this website and can be processed through the online payment system with a credit or debit card.
• Unique price for the three modalities: € 65
• Registrations will be closed when the quota of: 8,000 participants is reached
• Name changes have an additional cost of € 20, and may be made until May 21, as long as the two participants have the same size as a jersey.
• Mode changes will be accepted until May 21 or until the limit of participants per modality is met.
• Changes in the size of the jersey will not be accepted after March 5.
• Size changes in the merchandising will be accepted until March 5.
5. Jersey, numbers and chip
• The organization will provide the following mandatory material for all participants:
- A high-end Santini jersey (it is mandatory to wear it during the test).
- A dorsal-chip for the front of the bicycle.
- A bracelet identifying the participant with the number that will be given to him when collecting the material and he must keep it on during the cycling tour.
- A Santini maillot official is required for all participants and it constitutes an element of security and control so that all the auxiliary personnel involved in the test can identify at all times who are participants and who are not.
• Without the jersey it will not be possible to access the drawers or appear in the classification.
• Neither will it be possible to be attended by the mechanics at the assistance points or by the volunteers at the refreshment points.
• It is very important that during the registration process study the table showing the measurements of the jersey well before choosing the size.
• Remember that the size of the jersey is very tight, so that participants who do not like to go very "tight" we recommend that take one or two sizes.
6. Jersey collection and official merchandising
• All identifying material (official jersey of the march and merchandising purchased through the form) will be collected at the Bike Expo Polar Gran Fondo La Mussara, which will be located in Fira Reus (Avinguda Bellissens , 40, 43204 Reus) on Friday, June 1, from 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturday 2 from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• No maillot or merchandising garment will be delivered after the deadline (Friday, June 1 from 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm and Saturday, June 2 from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm).
• Participants who do not pick up their jersey and / or merchandise in the indicated period will lose their right over them. So that you do not lose this material, your family, friends, clubmates can pick it up ... with the copy of your ID or with the voucher that we will send you a few days before the march.
7. Cancellations and returns
In case of extraordinary weather inclemencies or causes of force majeure not attributable to the organization and which make it impossible to celebrate the cyclist's journey, the organization will not assume any responsibility and will not make any refund of the registration fee.
The inscription to Polar Gran Fondo La Mussara contemplates the refund of the amount in the following cases:
• If the cancellation of the test is communicated up to 20 days before the celebration, 50% of the value of the registration will be returned. The refund is made to the credit / debit card with which the payment was made.
• The last 20 days before the test will not refund the amount of the registration or merchandising for any case including injuries, accidents, trips, changes in work shift, etc.
• For the full refund of the registration fee you can purchase the cancellation insurance only through the registration form for € 10. The insurance entitles you to reimbursement of 100% of the registration fee (it does not include management fees) and is valid for paid stays until May 14, 2018.
• The participant who withdraws will not receive the jersey, exclusive for participants.
• The participant who can not attend the test, can not transfer their registration to another person under any circumstances, including those of the previous point.
8. Assignment of exit drawers
The allocation of drawers will be made once all the inscriptions are finished according to the best time obtained in one of the last three editions of the march. The order of the different waves of output for the three distances will be:
- POLAR Gran Fondo La Mussara 184K
- From 7:15 to 7:45 h.
- POLAR Gran Fondo La Mussara 133K
- From 8:15 to 8:45 h.
- POLAR Gran Fondo La Mussara 90K
- From 9:15 to 9:45 h.
Each exit will be divided into four drawers according to the times accredited in the last three editions and the last drawer for the new entrants.
9. Security and medical assistance
• The safety of public roads and the control and regulation of traffic will be the responsibility of the security bodies, but it must be remembered that the traffic on the route will be open and that, first of all, it must be circulated according to traffic regulations.
• Polar Gran Fondo La Mussara It is not a competition, but a cyclo-tourist march. This must be taken into account when crossing towns, traveling on the right, passing through roundabouts and crossings, descending ports, etc.
• The test has a very extensive medical service and all health personnel will be authorized to withdraw any participant for medical reasons.
• It is mandatory to carry a mobile phone charged during the test and it is highly recommended to wear some sleeves to protect yourself from the cold in the downhill sections. The mobile phone will be key when it comes to contact, if there is a need for breakdown or medical issues, with emergency numbers listed on the number.
• The medical services of the test and of assistance are not obliged to attend to cyclists not enrolled in the march.
10. Cut-off times
A single cut-off point is established for the participants of the 184Km Gran Fondo modality, which will be located at Ulldemolins Km 70. Taking into account the departure time of the last participant, the cut-off time is established at 12:00 h.
PLACE - Ulldemolins
KM - 70
TIME LIMIT - 12:00
AVERAGE SPEED - 17 Km/h
11. Mechanical assistance and participant collection points
• The organization will have a fleet of vehicles that will perform mechanical assistance throughout the tour and will pick up participants who do not continue due to breakdown, fatigue or out of control reasons.
• Authorized vehicles that follow the test will carry a visible identification at all times.
• The fact of being accompanied by a vehicle outside the organization will mean the disqualification of the participant.
• The assistance services will not assist any cyclist who is not correctly enrolled in the test.
• The main criterion for discriminating attendance is the participant's jersey.
The test will have refreshment points with drink and food during the tour and at the arrival.
The staff of the refreshment points will only allow access to the products to cyclists wearing the participant's jersey.
- The Polar Gran Fondo La Mussara cycling tour is not a competition. However, in order to measure the times in the different sections, a timing will be carried out in which each participant will know the total time and part time between the different sections and the one of the ascent to the port of La Mussara .
- To be able to obtain the times correctly it is very important that the dorsal-chip, which is a single piece, is placed correctly on the front of the bicycle as indicated in the picture
- The chip only works properly if it is placed as indicated by the image. In addition, this dorsal will serve to identify the participant in the photos that the organization will make when passing through the different points of the route.
- It must be taken into account that the chip does not work if it is in the pocket, inside the jersey, folded, on the wrist or on the seatpost.
- Can only be put on the front.
- The organization will not be able to recover the times if the dorsal-chip has not been placed correctly, so they will not accept claims caused by loss or misplacement.